The Best Honeymoon Places in TamilNadu
Tamil Nadu is one of the most popular states in South India due to its beautiful beaches, hill stations, heritage sites, and vibrant culture. In this blog post, we will explore some of the best places to visit for your honeymoon in Tamil Nadu.
Kodaikanal – The Princess of Hill Stations
Located in the Palani Hills of western Tamilnadu, Kodaikanal is often referred to as the “Princess of Hill Stations” due to its natural beauty. Some key things to know about Kodaikanal as a honeymoon destination:
– Time to visit: The ideal time to visit is between April to June and September to November when the weather is pleasant and mild. Summers (March to June) can be hot and winters (December to February) experience cold conditions and mist.
– Places to visit: Must visit attractions include Kodaikanal Lake for boat rides, Coaker’s Walk for scenic views, Bear Shola Falls, Bryant Park, Suicide Point and Pillar Rocks. If you like adventure, you can also go on short treks through the surrounding forests.
– Cost of stay: Expect to pay around Rs. 3,000-5,000 per night for a decent hotel or resort. Homestays and budget accommodations are also available starting at Rs. 1,000 per night.
– Getting there: The nearest airport is in Madurai, 130 km away. Taxis and buses regularly ply from Madurai. Kodaikanal is well connected by road to major cities like Coimbatore, Madurai and Ooty. I would suggest going by own vehicle since you can enjoy the nature to the fullest and would be a memorable road trip.
Overall, Kodaikanal offers breathtaking vistas, lush green forests and a relaxed atmosphere ideal for newlywed couples seeking a peaceful honeymoon. Strolling through the hills and enjoying the natural beauty makes it one of the best honeymoon places in Tamilnadu.
Yelagiri Hills – The mini Ooty
Nestled just 160 km from Chennai city, Yelagiri Hills has emerged as a popular honeymoon spot for its tranquility and resemblance to Ooty. Some key highlights:
– Time to visit: Winter from October to February is the best time to visit when conditions are pleasant. Summers can be hot.
– Places to visit: Must see include Punganur Lake for boating, Swamimalai Hills for panoramic views, Kondayampettai Eco Park and Boathouse. You can also go on treks to scenic viewpoints like Pepper Farm and Bear’s Hill.
– Cost of stay: Expect to pay Rs. 2,000-4,000 per night for comfortable resorts and cottages. Budget accommodation is also available for Rs. 1,000-2,000 per night.
– Getting there: The nearest town is Vaniyambadi which has bus and train connectivity. Taxis are easily available from Vaniyambadi/Tirupattur to reach Yelagiri Hills within 1-2 hours.
With clean hiking trails, refreshing climate and views of cloud-wrapped hills, Yelagiri offers an ideal relaxed setting for honeymooners. Its close proximity to Chennai also makes it a good short trip destination.
Kanyakumari – Where Ocean, Land and Sky Meet
Situated at the southernmost tip of India where the Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal meet, Kanyakumari derives its name from the Goddess Kanya Kumari becomes one of the most popular destinations in Tamil Nadu. Some must know:
– Time to visit: Winter months from October to February are best to experience pleasant weather without rains.
– Places to visit: Unmissable attractions are the scenic Vivekananda Rock Memorial, magnificent Kanyakumari Temple, Suchindram Temple, Thiruvalluvar Statue and Gandhi Memorial. Witness beautiful sunrises and sunsets from various points.
– Cost of stay: Expect to pay Rs. 3,000-7,000 per night for quality accommodations like hotels and resorts close to the beach. Cheaper homestays and lodges are also available.
– Getting there: Kanyakumari has good rail and road connectivity from major cities like Chennai, Madurai and Thiruvananthapuram. The nearest airport is in Thiruvananthapuram 80 km away.
With its picturesque natural landscapes, religious importance and proximity to backwaters in neighboring Kerala and Karnataka, newly married couples will find Kanyakumari one of the best honeymoon places in Tamilnadu.
Pondicherry – A Slice of France in India
Formerly a French colony named Puducherry, Pondicherry has a distinct French cultural influence visible through its architecture, cafes and way of life. Some notable highlights:
– Time to visit: October to March is the ideal time to enjoy mild beach weather without rains ruining your plans.
– Places to visit: Promenade Beach for peaceful walks, Auroville ashram, French Colony, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus church and museums.
– Cost of stay: Expect to pay Rs. 2,000-6,000 per night for hotels near the beachfront or French Quarter areas. Budget options are also easily available.
– Getting there: The nearest airport and major railway station are in Chennai, around 150 km away. Well connected by roads and trains to other cities in Tamilnadu and neighboring states.
With its laidback streets, French architecture, multi-cultural vibe and beaches, Pondicherry offers couples an offbeat experience blending history, spirituality and romance. Ideal for a chill honeymoon away from the crowds.
Ooty – The Queen of Hill Stations
Nestled in the Nilgiri Hills of the Western Ghats and also known as Udhagamandalam, Ooty reigns as the most popular hill station in South India for honeymooners. Some key details:
– Time to visit: Summers are warm from March to early June. Best time is from September to early November with pleasant weather.
– Places to visit: Must see attractions are Commissioner’s Bungalow and Garden, Dodabetta Peak, Ooty Lake, Pykara Lake, Boating and Strawberry Farm, experience the local village culture and food, visiting tea plantations and chocolate making factory.
Enjoying the world heritage Toy train ride, exploring the Railway Museum are also some attractions to do. If you are planning for calm and private visit, you can prefer the stay in the outer of the crowded area. Also visit nearby towns like Coonoor.
– Cost of stay: Comfortable mid-range hotels and resorts range Rs. 3,000-7,000 per night. Budget homestays are available for Rs. 1,200 upwards.
– Getting there: Nearest airport and major railway station are in Coimbatore 110 km away. Well connected by buses from other cities in Tamilnadu and Kerala. Direct buses are available from many cities of Tamil Nadu.
With its calming hills cloaked in mists, fragrant pine forests, blooming flower gardens and cozy cottages amidst lush greenery, Ooty offers couples an idyllic romantic getaway amidst nature’s laps.
Marakkanam – Offbeat Seaside Gem
Located around 120 km south of Chennai near Mahabalipuram, unspoiled Marakkanam village makes for a perfect offbeat beach honeymoon destination away from tourist crowds.
– Time to visit: Winter months from October to March have pleasant temperatures without rains.
– Places to visit: Must visit Marakkanam Beach for scenic sunrises and walks. Also visit the nearby beaches of Elliots, Rushikonda and Thiruvanmiyur.
– Cost of stay: Expect to pay Rs. 1,500-3,500 per night for a beachfacing room in basic family-run resorts/homestays.
– Getting there: Easily reachable by car from Chennai via NH-45 in 2.5-3 hours. Nearest railway station is Mahabalipuram and from there you can opt for cabs or taxies.
Other best places include.
In Conclusion, I would say that Tamil Nadu provides many best honeymoon places under budget. With several breathtaking landscapes, rich culture, and cool climate, Tamil Nadu is an ideal destination for a memorable honeymoon vacation.